Access to the Lancaster Gazette 1801-1894 is provided by the British Library Newspapers online archive.
It is available through Lancashire Libraries and is free if you have a reader’s ticket.
1. Go to Lancashire Digital Library: Newspapers Old and New (opens in new window)
2. Click on British Library 19th Century Newspapers.
3. Enter your Library Ticket Number when prompted.
YOU SHOULD THEN BE IN THE BRITISH LIBRARY NEWSPAPER SITE, at a Basic Search page.
4. Click on Browse Publication Title.
You will get the first page of a list of all the titles available.
5. Type Lancaster in the box at the top and press Find
6. On the next page, check the box next to Lancaster Gazetteer, then click Submit at bottom of box on right-hand side of page. You will be returned to the Basic Search page, but now your search will be limited to the publications you have selected.
7. Enter your search term and, if you wish, narrow it down by date.
The results will appear as a chronological list (although it can sometimes start with the 1880s for some reason!).
8. Click a heading to view an article. Your search word will be highlighted in the text.
The headings don't always give you a good idea of what the article is about since they usually refer to the first article or advert on the page, so you need to view each of them in turn.
9. You can save the articles individually as pdf files.