Tatham area railways 1845-1914



Facebook page

Stations

Click station layouts to enlarge

Hornby station layout
Hornby

Wennington station layout
Wennington

Arkholme station layout
Arkholme

Melling station layout
Melling

The station layouts above are from the 1891 OS maps at 1:2500 scale (see also Binns4). The station photographs below are probably from the early 1900s.

Click images to enlarge

Old postcard image of Hornby station
Hornby
(Courtesy of Lancaster Museums & Lancaster City Council)

Old postcard image of Wennington station
Wennington
(Courtesy of Lancaster Museums & Lancaster City Council)

Old postcard image of Arkholme station
Arkholme
(Courtesy of Lancaster Museums & Lancaster City Council)

Wray Crossing Cottage, 1890s
Wray Crossing Cottage, 1901
(Courtesy of John Pearcy)

At Hornby station the provisions made for goods included goods yard with goods shed, cattle docks and other sidings, and a weighbridge. Caton, Bentham & Arkholme had similar provisions, whilst Halton & Melling had only a goods shed.

Wennington had minimal goods facilities, but had storage sidings and a turntable allowing trains to both overtake and be divided, in keeping with its role as a junction. This required an extra engine from one of the destinations to wait on the down line below the junction to take the rear portion of the train down the other line, after having turned round using the turntable and changed lines via the single crossover. (The flexibility of the Wennington track layout for division, combination and passing of trains was later improved by turning one of the down sidings into a loop and the addition of another crossover on the Carnforth side of the junction, the former in 1941).5,3

The Arkholme image shows an important visitor making use of the station’s convenience as a stop for Kirkby Lonsdale. (Lord Henry Cavendish-Bentick, a conservative politician, lived at Underley Hall, Kirkby Lonsdale. Princess Christian was Princess Helena, daughter of Queen Victoria, who had married Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein).

As stated above, Wray and Claughton stations were temporary arrangements during the construction phase, utilising what became crossing cottages after 1850. George Smith’s last mention of his use of the station was August 10th 1850. The 1847 OS map shows Wray Station as a single building without platforms or sidings, in the position of the crossing cottage. However, the name remained in local use until at least the 1901 census. The cottages were built at level crossings provided for agricultural access, for which there were charges, with two at Farleton, one at Wray (see lower right image above) and two at Clintsfield (and a nearby one at Claughton).9

There were no private sidings on this section of the NWR line, the only ones elsewhere being a limestone quarry at Gargrave, two brick works at Claughton and the railway wagon works at Lancaster.4 There were also sidings to two limestone quarries and, eventually, a coal mine at Ingleton on the MR and LNWR lines.


MK 2010
Page created 10-7-2010. Latest update 15-7-2010

Click here for further authorship and copyright information