Lowgill
See foot of page for additional notes and acknowledgments
Additonal Notes
Images 1 & 2. Lowgill Coronation Celebrations, 1953
From the parish council minutes:
On 11 November 1952 thirty ratepayers attended a public meeting at Tatham Fell School Room, called by the parish council and chaired by Jack Hartley of Tatham Hall, to discuss Coronation celebrations.
A vote was carried, 19-3, that every child up to school leaving age should be given a coronation mug and that the cost of 4s 6d per mug (plus carriage) should be met by the rates. It was also agreed that Lower Tatham and Tatham Fells ‘hold their own respective field and sports day as in other years. This method was considered the most practical in such a scattered parish.’
At a subsequent meeting of the council on 27 January 1953, ‘Messrs Barnums Ltd’ requested an advance on the payment of the mugs. The names of 91 children had been identified to present them to but a total of 11 dozen mugs were purchased, the extra 41 to resell or give to children coming into the parish from other areas.
Image 3. Edward Knowles & John Parker, Lowgill 1953
Edward Knowles (left), of East View, was a member of Tatham Parish Council for many years, and John Parker was Clerk for a number of years. They are sitting outside Stable Cottage.
Image 10. Next-door to the Rose & Crown, c. 1900
This image is based on a postcard. The two men are standing in front of what is now Rose Cottage, which abuts the much taller Rose and Crown Inn, now Crown House.
Acknowledgments
| 1-3 | Reproduced with kind permission of John Knowles and Tatham Parish Council | |
| 4 | Copyright Geoff Higgin 2012 and reproduced with his kind permission | |
| 5-10 | Reproduced with kind permission of John Wilson | |
| 11 | Photo by Richard Wilson |